The health and diet of your Yorkie is important to you. When searching for alternatives to processed snacks, vegetables like Cucumbers have many benefits, including essential vitamins and minerals. But can Yorkies eat cucumbers?
Yes. Cucumbers are a safe, refreshing snack your Yorkie can enjoy daily. In fact, cucumbers are one of the best low-calorie healthy snacks you can give to your Yorkie.
This article will detail the health benefits of cucumbers, how much cucumber is the right amount to give to your Yorkie, and the different healthy fruits and vegetables that make a perfect daily treat.
- What are the health benefits of cucumbers for Yorkies?
- How much cucumber can Yorkies eat?
- What vegetables can Yorkies eat?
- What fruits can Yorkies eat?
What are the health benefits of cucumbers for Yorkies?
The cucumber has been grown for over 3,000 years. Commonly considered a vegetable, the cucumber is actually a pepo — a type of botanical berry — due to its fleshy fruit, lack of a pit, and is grown from a single flower.
Cucumbers are incredibly high in water, containing 95% water, with only 16 calories in 100 grams — about one cup — making them a refreshing low-calorie treat for your Yorkie.
The Health benefits of Yorkies eating cucumbers include:
- Hydration: Cucumbers are an excellent hydrating dog treat consisting of 95% water and electrolytes.
- Bone health: Vitamin K in cucumbers may lower the risk of your Yorkie developing osteoporosis, a common genetic disease in the breed.
- Antioxidants: Cucumbers are packed with dozens of antioxidants, like flavonoids, which can protect against heart disease.
- Promotes weight loss: Cucumbers are low-calorie and contain fiber and water, providing a filling, refreshing treat.
How much cucumber can Yorkies eat?
Yorkies weigh between 4 lbs to 7 lbs on average. Like humans, a Yorkies calorie intake will depend on their weight and daily activity level.
Since the average Yorkie should only consume around 150 calories daily, extra treats and snacks can cause unhealthy weight gain in Yorkies.
Cucumbers are a healthy alternative to commercial treats and only contain 16 calories per 100 grams.
Thankfully, one small cucumber bite is less than one calorie.
When feeding your Yorkie cucumbers, cut the cucumber into 1/4 inch slices, then cut those slices into quarters. Each quarter will weigh about 2.5 grams — that’s only 0.4 calories a piece!
Cucumbers should not be part of your Yorkies’ regular meal since protein and carbs are essential to their diet, but it makes for the perfect tasty snack.
Anytime you introduce a new food to your dog’s diet, start slow and monitor how your dog reacts before increasing their intake. Too much of any fruit or vegetable can cause digestive problems.
What vegetables can Yorkies eat?
Between seasonality or rotating your Yorkies’ diet, you may want to try other vegetables. Here is a list of the best vegetables for your Yorkie compared to cucumbers.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are 96% water and low in calories, making them a refreshing and healthy snack for dogs — 16 calories per 100 grams.
- Zucchini: Zucchini is a healthy vegetable for dogs and is low in calories. It’s also a good source of vitamins A, B, and C — 17 calories per 100 grams.
- Pumpkin: A healthy, low-calorie vegetable for dogs, Pumpkin is rich in fiber and vitamins A, C, and E. Pumpkin puree can also be helpful for digestion and upset stomachs — 26 calories per 100 grams.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is a vitamin-rich vegetable for dogs. It’s high in fiber, potassium, and vitamins C and K — 34 calories per 100 grams.
- Carrots: Carrots are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber for dogs. They’re low in calories and a perfect way to keep your dog’s teeth clean — 41 calories per 100 grams.
These vegetables are all low in calories and high in the nutrients that are good for Yorkies’ health.
What fruits can Yorkies eat?
Just like people, dogs love sweet fruits. Luckily, there are many healthy fruit options for pups.
Here’s a list of healthy fruits your Yorkie can enjoy.
- Watermelon: This juicy fruit is 90% water and is low in calories, making it a great summer snack for dogs. Be careful to remove the seeds before feeding watermelon to your dog — 30 calories per 100 grams.
- Strawberries: These low-calorie sweet berries are 91% water and a good source of fiber and protein — 32 calories per 100 grams.
- Cantaloupe: This sweet melon is also high in water content and low in calories — 34 calories per 100 grams.
- Cranberries: Fresh cranberries are 87% water. These tart berries are a good source of fiber and are low in calories. If your dog has hypothyroidism, cranberries are a great source of iodine which produces the T4 hormone — 46 calories per 100 grams.
- Apple: Apples are a healthy snack for Yorkies and contain vitamins A and C — 52 calories per 100 grams.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are healthy, low-calorie fruit packed with antioxidants for dogs. They’re also a good source of fiber and vitamins A, C, and K — 57 calories per 100 grams.
Advice for feeding Yorkies fruits and veggies.
Pesticides and other chemicals can linger on the surface of fruits and vegetables. Give your fruits a quick rinse under cool water and dry them before offering them to your pup.
Large pieces can also be a choking hazard for an excited Yorkie trying a new treat. Introduce your Yorkie to new snacks slowly with small bite-sized pieces.
Can dogs eat cucumber skin?
The cucumber peel is an excellent source of insoluble fiber plus vitamins and minerals. With 95% of the cucumbers fruity inside composed of water, the peel is where many nutrients are stored.
Insoluble fiber helps the digestive tract while the vitamins and minerals provide antioxidants helping with skin and eye care, with vitamins supporting healthy bones.
We all love the thought of sharing tasty foods we enjoy with our best friends. Sharing fruits and vegetables with your Yorkie — and not high-fat foods like cheese and peanut butter — is a guilt-free way to make you both happy.
Should Yorkies eat cucumbers?
Cucumbers are a nutritious, refreshing snack for your Yorkie. Cucumbers can replace high-calorie, processed dog treats and are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Made of 95% water, with only 16 kcals per 100 grams — about one cup — Cucumbers should become a new favorite reward for your Yorkie.
Now that you know all about feeding cucumbers, fruits, and vegetables to your Yorkie, enjoy a slice with your favorite companion.
What’s your pup’s favorite fruit? Share this article and let us know!