Red delicious, granny smith, fuji apples — with over 100 varieties of apples grown commercially in the US, we are lucky to have such a tasty fruit readily available. So, can Yorkies eat apples?
Thankfully, apples are also a healthy snack you can enjoy with your Yorkie.
In fact, apples are one of the many fruits that your Yorkie can enjoy daily. Apple’s are 86% water, rich in fiber, and a good vitamin C and potassium source.
This article details the health benefits of apples for your Yorkie and lists the healthiest fruits and vegetables to increase your pup’s health while decreasing your snack budget.
- How much Apple can Yorkies eat?
- What are the health benefits of Apple’s for Yorkies?
- What are the healthiest fruits for Yorkies?
- What are the healthiest vegetables for Yorkies?
- Advice for feeding Yorkies fruits and veggies.
How much Apple can Yorkies eat?
Yorkies weigh between 4 lbs to 7 lbs on average. Like humans, a Yorkies calorie intake will depend on their weight and daily activity level.
Apples are a healthy alternative to commercial treats, but they are still 52 calories per 100 grams — or about half of an average apple.
The average Yorkie should consume around 150 calories daily — 200 calories for growing puppies. It’s essential to consider any extra calories from treats or fruits to avoid weight gain or obesity.
When feeding your Yorkie apples, cut the apple into 1/8″ slices, then cut those slices into almond-sized pieces.
Apples should not be part of your dog’s regular meal but make the perfect tasty snack.
Anytime you introduce a new food to your dog’s diet, start slow and monitor how your dog reacts before increasing their intake.
What are the health benefits of Apples for Yorkies?
A nutrient-dense fruit, Apples are one of the healthiest snacks your pup can eat. Your Yorkie can benefit from adding apples to their regular treat rotation since they offer numerous vitamins and minerals.
- The vitamin C in apples acts as an antioxidant and can help protect your dog’s cells from damage.
- Fiber helps aid in their digestion and increases the feeling of fullness.
- Vitamin B1, E, and B6, potassium, and polyphenols are also present in apples and contribute to various health benefits for your dog.
Since hypoglycemia is common in many toy breeds, including Yorkshire Terriers, apples can quickly increase their blood sugar when needed.
Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, happens when glucose levels in the body drop below healthy levels. Hypoglycemia is life-threatening for Yorkies, so check with your veterinarian and don’t rely on apples alone.
What fruits and vegetables can Yorkies eat?
Apples, strawberries, watermelon, cranberries, and blueberries are excellent fruit choices for a healthy dog snack. For a lower-calorie snack, consider vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, and zucchini as a treat for your Yorkie.
When feeding your Yorkie fruits, avoid mixing too many types at once. Instead, rotate new fruits seasonally, weekly, or monthly to avoid an upset stomach.
All fruits, including apples, can also introduce your dog to new allergens.
Rotating your Yorkies’ fruit intake gives them time to adjust to the new snack and allows you to spot any adverse reactions they have to the fruit.
What are the healthiest fruits for Yorkies?
- Watermelon: This juicy fruit is 90% water and is low in calories, making it a great summer snack for dogs. Be careful to remove the seeds before feeding watermelon to your dog — 30 calories per 100 grams.
- Strawberries: These low-calorie sweet berries are 91% water and a good source of fiber and protein — 32 calories per 100 grams.
- Cantaloupe: This sweet melon is also high in water content and low in calories — 34 calories per 100 grams.
- Cranberries: Fresh cranberries are 87% water. These tart berries are a good source of fiber and are low in calories. If your dog has hypothyroidism, cranberries are a great source of iodine which produces the T4 hormone — 46 calories per 100 grams.
- Apple: Apples are a healthy snack for dogs and contain vitamins A and C — 52 calories per 100 grams.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are healthy, low-calorie fruit packed with antioxidants for dogs. They’re also a good source of fiber and vitamins A, C, and K — 57 calories per 100 grams.
Besides fruits, consider introducing low-calorie vegetables into your Yorkies’ snack rotation.
What are the healthiest vegetables for Yorkies?
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are 96% water and low in calories, making them a refreshing and healthy snack for dogs — 16 calories per 100 grams.
- Zucchini: Zucchini is a healthy vegetable for dogs and is low in calories. It’s also a good source of vitamins A, B, and C — 17 calories per 100 grams.
- Pumpkin: A healthy, low-calorie vegetable for dogs, Pumpkin is rich in fiber and vitamins A, C, and E. Pumpkin puree can also be helpful for digestion and upset stomachs — 26 calories per 100 grams.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is a vitamin-rich vegetable for dogs. It’s high in fiber, potassium, and vitamins C and K — 34 calories per 100 grams.
- Carrots: Carrots are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber for dogs. They’re low in calories and a perfect way to keep your dog’s teeth clean — 41 calories per 100 grams.
Advice for feeding Yorkies fruits and veggies.
Pesticides and other chemicals can linger on the surface of fruits and vegetables. Give your fruits a quick rinse under cool water and dry them before offering them to your pup.
Most dogs are excited by new treats. A sweet treat can cause your Yorkie to eat too quickly, making any fruit and vegetable a choking hazard.
Introduce your Yorkie to new snacks slowly with small bite-sized pieces.
We all love the thought of sharing tasty foods we enjoy with our best friends. Sharing fruits and vegetables with your Yorkie — and not high-fat foods like cheese and peanut butter — is a guilt-free way to make you both happy.
Should Yorkies eat apples?
Apples are a nutritious, refreshing snack for your Yorkie. Apples can replace high-calorie, processed dog treats and are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. At only 52 kcals per 100 grams — about half an apple — apples should become a new reward for your Yorkie.
Now that you know all about feeding apples, fruits, and vegetables to your Yorkie, enjoy a slice with your favorite companion.
What’s your pup’s favorite fruit? Share this article and let us know!